Only mobile numbers can be ported to Google Voice. When you go through the porting process, you will know if your mobile number can be ported or not. You cannot port landline to Google Voice at this time. A work around for this is to port your landline to a mobile service like AT&T GoPhone. Then port the number from AT&T GoPhone to Google Voice. However, this work around does not work for all landline numbers.
Some things you should know before porting over your number to Google Voice:
- There is a one time $20 fee to port your number.
- Your mobile phone service plan will be terminated when you port your number to Google Voice and your carrier may charge you an early termination fee. You may also experience disruptions in sending and receiving text messages for 5 business days or more, depending on the carrier from which you are porting to Google Voice.
- Once porting is complete, you will not be able to receive calls to your mobile phone until you complete the following steps:
- Google Voice is not a mobile phone service provider, so you must setup a new mobile phone service plan (with your existing carrier or a new carrier) and request a new number.
- Once you’ve secured a new mobile service plan and a new number, you will need to add this new number to your Google Voice account as a forwarding phone. Learn how to add a forwarding phone
- You should not cancel your mobile service plan before porting is initiated. You will need your phone to be able to accept calls in order to complete the porting verification process.
- If you already have a Google number on this Google Voice Account, it will be replaced by the number that you wish to port and will be completely removed from your account 90 days after porting is complete
How to port your number to Google Voice:
- Visit voice.google.com
- If you already have a Google Voice account visit your Settings and select Change / Port under your Phones tab. If you are new to Google Voice you may immediately see a pop-up asking you to select the type of account you want.
- Select I want a new number.
- Select the checkboxes under “Things to understand before porting your number to Google Voice”.
- Click Next: Phone Verification.
- Follow the prompts to verify your phone number.
- Enter your account information and then select Next: Confirmation.
- Confirm your transaction and then select Next: Checkout.
- Checkout with Google Wallet.
Once, you’ve completed the Google Wallet transaction, you’ll receive a few emails with updates and further instructions.